The Indirect Tax Laws Amendment (Assessment) Act 2012 received royal assent on 15 April 2012.
- The legislation introduces amendments to the TAA and other Act to harmonise the current GST system with the income tax self-assessment regime, allow for a four year period of review, allow the Commissioner to make a determination that a taxpayer can correct errors from a preceding BAS on their current BAS
- The changes come into effect from 1 July 2012.
Links to documents
Revised exposure draft of legislation
Exposure draft of legislation
- Exposure Draft Bill – 19 January 2011
- Explanatory Memorandum to Exposure Draft
- Submissions on Exposure Draft
- CPA Australia (original)
- CPA Australia (supplementary)
- Law Council of Australia
- Property Council of Australia
- Taxation Institute of Australia
- First Discussion Paper – Government response to the Board of Taxation Review of the legal framework for the administration of the GST – 12 May 2009